Sunday, August 12, 2007

Marathon University

So Saturday was the Marathon University. I carpooled with two other TNT (Team in Training) folks down to the middle school that it was being held in.

Basically it was a series of 4 45 minute classes on various topics. First was a class on feet & running. I like my feet. During this class I became worried about my feet. Luckily one thing which was repeated over and over was that if you are participating in the half marathon, you don't have to worry as much. Thank God. Because I certainly don't want my feet to look like some of the photos the teacher was showing. In fact, about halfway through the class I thought I might have to leave. I wasn't sure I could hear another horror story about blisters or skin peeling or anything having to do with foot badness.

Then the second class was with the personal trainer. She hadn't gotten the memo that we weren't working out that day but instead were taking a bunch of classes. So we spent 45 minutes doing an aerobics routine. I spent the first half thinking it was not that bad and the second half plotting the aerobics teacher's death. Mind you, I was wearing jeans & flip-flops (along with a bunch of other people).

The third class was nutrition, supplements, and gear associated therewith. It was the most interesting class by far. And it seemed that it was the shortest of course. They did an overview of all the different GU's, gel's, electrolytes, etc out there; how and when to take them while running; symptoms of dehydration and hyponotremia; and lastly, what water bottle system works best. :)

The last class was the chiropractor speaking on how to avoid injuries (go visit him), and the store owner discussing shoes, apparel, and other accesories.

Finally, I go thome at almost 2pm, about 3 hours later than I had thought I'd be getting home. I counted the 45 minute death aerobics as my workout for Saturday.

No comments: