Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Tuesday in Vail (aka bad ideas)

So, lesson number one when running in vail in October - if you try to run in the morning, and all you have are leggings and a t-shirt, don't do it. When I realized that the plants all had ice on them, I turned around.

Lesson number 2 - inhaling freezing thin air makes your lungs not like you very much and you can't run very much.

So obviously, the run this morning didn't work out quite the way I had hoped. I ran about 1.5 miles (with some walking to allow feeling to return to my hands). Brrrrrr!!

However, I really wanted to get my miles done, so when it warmed up in the afternoon I went running again. This time I covered around 3 miles. It was again a combination of walking and running though (as sad as I am to admit it, probably around half/half). I am just getting winded very early in the runs and not able to sustain even my turtle running pace without walking for a bit. It is a bit disheartening - I know I can run 3.5 miles without stopping no problem (that's my standard Tuesday run) at 30 feet about sea level. But definitely not at 8200 feet above sea level. Hopefully, just getting out there and covering the distance counts for something though!

No comments: