Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Running on a treadmill

So this morning when the alarm went off I was in such a deep sleep that I just couldn't get up. When I tried, I felt very sick to my stomach so I just laid back down. Luckily, I didn't have any plans this evening so Justin & I went to the gym where I ran on a treadmill for pretty much the first time. I have walked on a treadmill before but never ran. It is very different! First of all, I found that I tend to veer towards my left when running. When I was first starting out, I actually had to hold onto the rails so that I wouldn't run into them. I ran for 3 miles (37 minutes) - I was alternating between a 12:14min/mile pace and a 12:30min/mile pace. I felt really good that I was just able to do the 3 miles. Obviously, it is much shorter than my race (in 4 days!) but it was also not much of a problem for me to just go run that.

I was running in my race outfit which is pretty styling (sarcasm). Everyone in Team in Training has to wear the shirt they provide so that you can be identified on the course by staff. So the runner's all get a bright purple tank top which is pretty small. I ended up getting both the medium (which I thought was too small) so then I got the large. The large is just wider though, not longer which is really what I was looking for. So I am sticking with the medium tank top. I don't wear running shorts - instead I actually wear spandex pants which were intended for use in yoga. But they have worked for me so far in training, so they are what I am going to wear for the race.

I also tried these arch support pads which you wear over your sock. I am not sure that I am going to wear them for the race. I haven't been having any more symptoms of the plantar fasciitis, and they weren't very comfortable.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Good luck this weekend!! I'll bee thinking of you. :-)