Saturday, October 6, 2007

Another 10 miles!

So, let me say that I went into today's run planning on running 12 miles. In fact, that is the amount of miles I told my family & co-workers that I would run. That didn't happen. I only did 10. (Lesson here - don't tell people how many miles you are going to run before you run them!)

Today's run was at the San Leandro Marina. We had run here once before. That time before was my really bad run where I was barely able to do 2 miles, had horrible stitches in my side, and was just miserable. So, not the best memories of this place. Also, the last time we were here, it was very very hot and the sun was blazing. Not so today.

Today it was chilly. (I suppose it's all relative, right? So to be fair it was in the 50's). We had staggered starts based on how fast we run - I went with the 11-13 minute/mile crew. I didn't see Lisa or anyone that I really knew that I could run with. Setting out, there was a group of runners who were aiming for a 12 minute/mile pace. They were right in front of me so I just kept up with them. By the first water stop (2 mile mark), they were starting to split up, but there was one runner who was also by herself near me. So I introduced myself and we ran together. She is on the summer training team and is also training for the Nike Half (6 months of training for a half marathon - I would be hospitalized!). So we ran together out to the 5 mile point, then turned around and ran back. By the time we hit 5 mile, it was definitely warming up which was good. It was also very sunny which wasn't so good. I've found that I much prefer to run on grey slightly cooler days (and I tend to do better as well).

By the time we hit the first water stop again (2 miles left!), my left foot was decidedly cranky and I was really getting tired. But somehow I persevered. To add the 2 miles to make it a 12 mile run, you had to go past the starting point and do two 1 mile laps around a large circle area. By the time I hit the starting point, the right hip flexor muscle was cranky (yay to the right side for speaking up finally!), my left foot was very very unhappy with life, and I really didn't want to push myself too far since this was our last long run before Nike. So I stopped at the 10 mile mark. Timewise it took us 2 hours and 10 minutes to finish (13 minute/mile) which is definitely slower than I had ever hoped, but I am not doing this for speed, I am doing this just to finish.

The great thing about it is that I *ran* the whole 10 miles. When I did the Nike Preview run, I walked a lot of it (up the hills, parts of Golden Gate park, etc). Today, I didn't walk at all except to grab water/gatorade at the water stops! So that is pretty exciting. Frankly, I think if I had been walking a bit more, I could have covered the last 2 miles, which means that I feel really good about finishing Nike.

I did manage to speak to Mama Lisa about the pain on the outside of my left foot which has been there since I did the Nike Preview run in September. I showed her where it was red and swollen and she said "Oh, you hurt your ankle!". Figures. I explained my left side issues and she thinks that my left hip is lower than my right hip. She said she could even see a height difference while I was standing there. So I am supposed to get a "shoe lift" for my left shoe.

After the run, we had the Nike send-off party there at the marina park. Honorees for our team came to speak to us about how great we are all doing - the honorees are people/families of people who have Leukemia/Lymphoma who are being honored by our particular team. Some of the stories were very heart-wrenching. Two of our honorees are "angels" meaning that they passed away - Cole who was 2 years old, and Brenda who was a mother and a member of the Team for the last Nike event. Cole's mother spoke to us about how much it meant to her that we were all doing this to raise money so that other people's children wouldn't die of Leukemia. Also, this year's Nike event is happening on what would have been Cole's fifth birthday. Everyone was in tears, and I couldn't help thinking about my mom as well. I wish she could be at the finish line cheering me on, but I think she will be there in spirit.

No comments: